Students should feel free to approach the instructor with concerns or questions about special needs or considerations that fall outside of the services listed here. All information shared will be kept confidential. For complete information on student services at Virginia Tech, please see the Division for Student Affairs.

  1. Concerns for their mental or physical well-being: 
    • Emergencies - Dial 911. Subscribe to campus alerts Emergency Warning System
    • Personal counseling, including help with drinking, drug abuse, mental health, stress, sexual assault recovery - Thomas E. Cook Counseling Center, 240 McComas Hall - dial (540) 231-7473 or Cook Counseling Center
    • Reporting sexual assault- dial 911 or Student Health Care Center - dial 231-7642 or Women's Center at Price House - dial 231-7806
    • Health care appointments - Schiffert Health Center - dial 231-7642 or Health Care Website
    • Legal concerns - Student Legal Services - dial 231-4720 or services website 
  2. Technical: The professor for this course does not provide technical support. Requests for technical support and/or Canvas will be addressed though the help button on the lower left of the screen.  VT specific technology support can be directed to 4Help via the Help Request Form (Links to an external site.)or by calling (540) 231-HELP (4357). You can also refer to WebEx support for help.
  3. Accommodations for Special Needs: Any student who has been confirmed by the University as having special needs for learning must notify me in the first week of the course.  For more information please refer to student services website.
  4. Academic Support Services: Any student requiring academic support should investigate the University’s services. Service areas include: Student Success CenterMulticultural Academic Opportunities ProgramStudent Athlete Academic Support ServicesUniversity Academic Advising Center, and Office of Veterans' Services. There are orientation services for new or transfer undergraduate students. For tutoring, visit the Office of Academic Enrichment - 122 Hillcrest - dial 231-8887 or their website For career counseling, visit the Career Services, top floor Henderson Hall, - dial 231-6241 or refer to their website. For study skills advice, visit Thomas E. Cook Counseling Center, 240 McComas Hall - dial (540) 231-7473.
  5. The library has extensive help services, including services and guides for those using the library through the Internet. There are several methods to contact a librarian.
  6. Accessibility: Students will be provided access to educational materials, buildings, library, computer and classroom opportunities. Videos will have closed captioning. All lecture videos have audio. It is uncertain if the textbook or reading material outside of the textbook is offered in a braille version or on audio. Visually-impaired students may request that the instructor describe the required figures verbally and the images used in the video lectures. Students may request that their requirement to do the field delineation project, attend the field trip, and to lead WebEx sessions be waived, modified, or enabled. Review questions and exams may be presented in audio format upon request, and questions answered verbally by voice recording. More information about the university’s accessibility policy.